I believe in Service ★ I believe in Representation ★ I believe in Arlington
ARLINGTON SPECIAL ELECTION: Choose Chanda on May 5th
* * *
Friends and neighbors,
I plan to put forward my name for the May 5th Democratic nomination for the just announced Arlington County Board Special Election. The timetables have changed. Our needs have changed. The world has changed. Arlington County Board Member Erik Gutshall passed away on April 16th and barely days later, we are having to pick a successor to take his place.
I first ran for public office because I wanted to provide service and representation for Arlington. And now that need is more urgent than ever. This unfilled seat in our local government is the new immediate priority.
Whoever is the party’s nominee has only a little more than a month to build a campaign to fill the seat, keep it Democratic, and unite the party ahead of a monumental November. I am the best and only candidate who has already done the work and built a seasoned team and campaign infrastructure to win a special election in the middle of a pandemic.
Whoever is the newly elected County Board Member needs to make sure that everyone is safe, housed, and fed.
Universal coronavirus testing, masks for all residents, and contact tracing need to happen.
Rent, mortgage, and property tax burdens must be relieved.
Arlington Public Schools ran out of food at its distribution points for student families before the Easter holidays. Emergency food assistance and distribution networks need to be built out.
Then we need to get Arlington back to work, back to school, and back to living. I’ve got short-term, medium-term, and long-term plans for a post-COVID19 Arlington thought out and backed by broad life experience across America and valuable skills in business, military, and technology.
My original platform of solutions is more relevant and prescient than ever, such as:
• Good Government 101: Focus on customer service and core infrastructure (electric, water, transportation, digital) to make sure Arlington itself is operating quickly, efficiently and smartly.
• Arlington Pride: Instill local pride in the heart of every resident; set a goal that every Arlingtonian join a nearby civic, service, or hobby group.
• Buy Local: Foster a unique Arlington arts, culture, and entertainment scene; shift economic development resources from big corporations to small businesses.
• Regional Master Plans: Collaborate instead of compete with neighboring cities and counties on economic development, housing and the environment.
• Safe Streets: Build complete streets that are safe and friendly for walkers, riders and drivers of all abilities and modes of transportation.
• Green Consumption: Eliminate single use plastics, expand vegan-friendly food options, encourage vertical urban farming.
• Renter Protections: Work with the state on tenant empowerment, targeted annual rent increase caps and housing vouchers to give Arlington’s majority renter population peace of mind and prevent displacement of long-time residents.
The heart of why representation matters is that the people suffering the most in this pandemic are the people without a voice. I will be their voice. I will love and lift up everyone.
The Arlington Democratic nomination process ahead of May 5th is unfortunately very quick, and the only people allowed to vote for now are the perhaps 200 or so Arlington Democratic Party “members of its Steering Committee and County Committee, which consist of elected party officials (including Precinct Captains), appointed party officials (including Precinct Leaders and Arlington Young Democrats officers), and Democratic elected officials who reside in Arlington.”
If you are one of the identified Arlington Democratic party members, please choose me as your #1 choice. If you are not one of the designated members, please reach out to folks you know with a vote and share kind words on my behalf. Thank you all for everything. I have been honored to be part of this public service journey.
Candidate for Arlington County Board
* * *
To learn more, please visit www.ChandaChoun.com
You may also follow the campaign on social media at: www.facebook.com/ChandaChounArlington
For further inquiries, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Keep in Touch
VOTE ON JUNE 9 , 2020
CHANDA CHOUN ★ DEMOCRAT FOR ARLINGTON COUNTY BOARD
CHANDA CHOUN CURRENTLY SERVES PART-TIME IN THE UNITED STATES ARMY RESERVE. USE OF HIS MILITARY RANK, TITLES, OR PHOTOGRAPHS IN UNIFORM DO NOT IMPLY ENDORSEMENT BY THE ARMY OR THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE.